Blanton Museum Of Art
The Jack S. Blanton Museum of Art at The University of Texas at Austin is one of the largest university art museums in the U.S. with 189,340 square feet devoted to temporary exhibitions, permanent collection galleries, storage, administrative offices, classrooms, a print study room, an auditorium, shop, and cafe. The Blanton’s permanent collection consists of almost 18,000 works, with significant holdings of modern and contemporary art, Latin American art, Old Master paintings, and prints and drawings from Europe, the United States, and Latin America.
Bullock Texas State History Museum
The Bullock Texas State History Museum, is a division of the Texas State Preservation Board. Its stated mission is to tell “the Story of Texas.” The history museum is named after former Texas Lieutenant Governor Bob Bullock, who championed its creation. The museum is located at 1800 North Congress Avenue in Austin, a few blocks north of the Texas State Capitol. The museum has three floors of interactive exhibits; the first floor theme is “land,” the second floor theme “identity,” and the third floor theme “opportunity.” On the second floor of the museum, The Spirit Theater hosts a feature presentation entitled Star of Destiny. Designed by award-winning experience designer Bob Rogers and the design team BRC Imagination Arts, the special effects theater presentation takes audiences on an epic journey through the history of Texas, narrated by the character of Sam Houston. In addition to playing several shows, daily, the 200-seat Texas Spirit Theater is also used by the museum as a multimedia special effects theater for alternate film and lecture presentations. The museum also has an IMAX theater, which used to project films in the 70mm format but switched to digital projection in January 2015. The theater seats 400 and has a projector with both 2-D and 3-D capability.
LBJ Presidential Library
The Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum, also known as the LBJ Presidential Library, is the presidential library and museum of Lyndon Baines Johnson, the 36thPresident of the United States (1963–1969). It is located on the grounds of the University of Texas at Austin, and is one of 13 Presidential Libraries administered by the National Archives and Records Administration. The LBJ Library houses 45 million pages of historical documents, including the papers of President Johnson and those of his close associates and others.
Elisabet Ney Museum
The Elisabet Ney Museum is a museum that is housed in the former studio of sculptor Elisabet Ney and is dedicated to showcasing her life and works. There is a permanent collection of her portrait busts and personal memorabilia on display. Formosa, as Ney called the studio, was completed in 1893 and enlarged in 1902. It was the earliest art studio built in Texas. After she died in 1907, Ella and Joseph B. Dibrell purchased the building to preserve it as an art center in memory of her. The City of Austin assumed ownership of it in 1941 and it is managed through the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department. In addition to being a local and state historic landmark, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 29, 1972.
UMLAUF Sculpture Garden and Museum
The Umlauf Sculpture Garden is a museum and outdoor sculpture garden centered on the artistic works of American sculptor Charles Umlauf. The garden is adjacent to Austin’s Zilker Park. In 1985, Charles and Angeline Umlauf donated their home, studio, and 168 Umlauf sculptures to the City of Austin. Six years later, in 1991, the city built a museum to display the artwork on adjoining city property with private funds. Volunteers staff and maintain the museum using donated funds, while Austin’s Parks and Recreation Department maintains the xeriscaped garden. In addition to Umlauf’s artwork, the museum features temporary exhibits of other artists.
William Sidney Porter House
The mission of the O. Henry Museum is to collect, preserve and interpret artifacts and archival materials relative to William Sidney Porter, the author otherwise known as O. Henry, for literary, educational, and historical purposes. The O. Henry Museum offers a look into the life of William Sidney Porter in the Austin years leading up to his controversial prison term, after which he assumed the pen name O. Henry and set about transforming himself into the famed short story writer who authored such universal classics as “Gifts of the Magi,” “The Ransom of Red Chief” and “The Cop and the Anthem.”
George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center
The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center is dedicated to the collection, preservation, research and exhibition of African-American historical and cultural material. The museum offers gallery exhibits, programs, classes, spring break and summer camps, theater productions and a genealogy center. The museum is housed in a 36,000 square-foot facility that includes four galleries, a conference room, classroom, darkroom, dance studio, 134-seat theater, and archival space. The galleries feature a core exhibit on Juneteenth, a permanent exhibit on Austin African-American families, an Artists’ Gallery, and a children’s exhibit on African-American scientists and inventors.